This page may contain affiliate links from our advertising partners for which we many receive compensation. This may impact how and where products appear on this site. This site does not review or include all companies or all available products. We are thankful when you support this site by using our links.
Here’s a fun exercise. I was thinking about the type of restaurants and food I like when traveling, and then I broke it down into a list of preliminary categories and questions and answers. I thought I’d throw some of these questions to you.
What type of restaurants do you generally seek out and enjoy when you travel, and how do you learn of the restaurants?
This survey is limited to leisure travel, as I assume when traveling for business you’ll happily go to the most expensive restaurant your business or colleagues will take you to.
HOW DO YOU LEARN OF RESTAURANTS WHEN YOU TRAVEL?
Here are some possible answers:
- I do tons of research, including resources such as Yelp and TripAdvisor
- I ask friends and post requests in Facebook Groups or on blogs
- I ask the hotel concierge
- I walk down the street and go where ever catches my eye
- I ask locals that I meet at the location
- room service, room service, room service
(my answer: all of the above except room service)
WHAT TYPE OF RESTAURANTS OR EATING ESTABLISHMENTS DO YOU LIKE TO SEEK OUT WHEN YOU TRAVEL?
- Fine Dining, top-rated restaurants, including expensive and Michelin star restaurants (YOLO)
- Touristic restaurants located on or around the main drag of the city or location you’re visiting
- Better or upscale chain restaurants
- Fast food chains
- food courts
- Markets with food halls
- food trucks
- restaurants that are known to locals but somewhat obscure or unknown to tourists (off the beaten track restaurants).
- food tours
(my answer: markets with food halls and off the beaten track restaurants. For lunch, I might be interested in checking out a salad or snack from a local market or supermarket).
WHAT STYLE OR ETHNICITY OF FOOD DO YOU PREFER WHEN TRAVELING?
I think for most of us, we want at least one or more meals of food typical to the place we are visiting. After that, anything goes.
(my answer: I prefer authentic local cuisine. Also, if a location is known for one particular dish or item – such as cheesesteak in Philadelphia or gelato in Italy, I will want to try that item at least once.)
DIETARY PREFERENCES OR LIMITATIONS
Of course, one’s choice of where and what to eat is guided by one’s dietary preferences or limitations, such as Kosher, Halal, Vegetarian, Vegan, Keto, Low sodium, Low cholesterol, Gluten free, Lactose intolerant, Low carb, and a whole list of allergies and personal preferences.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone.