Picture yourself here (photo: pixabay)
My friends are always asking how I can afford to take so many luxury trips to exotic places. The answer is often points and miles gained from credit card bonuses, promotions and spends. When a valuable credit card offers a welcome bonus of 100,000 points, I jump! (see, When I See a Credit Card Offering 100,000 Points or Miles, I Jump!)
Well, guess what? It’s time to jump!
American Express Business Platinum has a new limited time offer of 100,000 Membership Reward points!
The spend requirement is steep, but if you can do it, 100K points is a great reward! Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
Unfortunately, this Welcome Offer is only available if you have not previously had this card (If, like me, you previously had this card, you are not eligible for this Welcome Offer).
The annual fee is $595, but before you gasp and run away, realize that 100,000 Membership Reward points can be worth far more than that. Plus, as detailed below, there are many perks to having the American Express Platinum Business card, such as the $200 reimbursement for airline fees, $100 reimbursement for Global Entry, and airport lounge access and others.
Here are some of the many perks:
- Get 5X Membership Rewards points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more points – 1.5 points per dollar – on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit per year for baggage and other fees
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork.
- Access to various airport lounges, including The Centurion®Lounge and The International American Express lounges, Delta Sky Club® when flying Delta, and Priority Pass lounges.
- Gold elite status with both Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors
- No foreign transaction fees
- Statement credit for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre ($85) fee
Spending $25,000 in three months is not as difficult as it seems. If you have any upcoming large personal expenses, such as a new car or roof, or business expenses, this is perfect. Then there’s the pay it forward concept: Pay the annual home or auto insurance and other bills for the upcoming year. And, don’t forget, after you spend the $25,000 within the first three months, you’ll have 100K Membership Reward points plus at least 25K points earned from the eligible spend for a total of 125K Membership Reward points (or possibly more).
Plastiq to the Rescue!
Whether you’re paying business or personal expenses, Plastiq can be a huge help in getting a large spend done.
For business needs, Plastiq can help your business better utilize existing credit in a few simple steps. You tell them who the recipient is and how much you want to pay them, Plastiq charges your card plus our simple 2.5% fee, then the recipient receives your payment in the form of a check, ACH, or wire transfer.
For personal expenses, Plastiq is also great. From time to time, to meet spend requirements (especially when I can earn a bonus), I use Plastiq to pay my cooperative maintenance fee (or maintenance fee for a few months). Plus, if the payment is over $5,000, I receive 1.5 Membership Reward points per dollar, which takes the ouch out of the 2.5% Plastiq fee.
If you are new to Plastiq, you can sign up using my Plastiq referral code or simply us this number : 326232 and you will receive 500 Fee Free Dollars (i.e., you won’t have to pay a fee on the first $500 you pay through Plastiq).
Only Apply for Credit Cards if You can Afford it
This goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway. Please don’t apply for this card (or any credit card) if you are not able to afford it, or you are not able to comfortably pay off your balance each month.